Outcomes of open and endovascular repair of inflammatory abdominal aortic aneurysms

Vascular . 2018 Apr;26(2):203-208. doi: 10.1177/1708538117728865. Epub 2017 Aug 25.

Fecha de la publicación: 25/08/2017

Autor: África Duque Santos (1), Andrés Reyes Valdivia (1), María Asunción Romero Lozano (1), Enrique Aracil Sanus (1), Julia Ocaña Guaita (1), Claudio Gandarias (1)

Palabras clave: Abdominal aortic aneurysm, Endovascular procedures, inflammation surgery



1Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, 16507 Ramón y Cajal´s University Hospital , Madrid, Spain.


Objective Reports on inflammatory aortic abdominal aneurysm treatment are scarce. Traditionally, open surgery has been validated as the gold standard of treatment; however, high technical skills are required. Endovascular aortic repair has been suggested as a less invasive treatment by some authors offering good results. The purpose of our study was to report our experience and outcomes in the treatment of inflammatory aortic abdominal aneurysm using both approaches. Material and methods A retrospective review and data collection of all patients treated for inflammatory aortic abdominal aneurysm between 2000 and 2015 was done in one academic center. Diagnosis of inflammatory aortic abdominal aneurysm was based on preoperative CT-scan imaging. Type of treatment, postoperative and long-term morbidity and mortality are described. Abdominal compressive symptoms (hydronephrosis) severity and relief after treatment are described. Results Thirty-four patients with intact inflammatory aortic abdominal aneurysm were included. Twenty-nine (85.3%) patients were treated by open means and the remaining five (14.7%) with endovascular aortic repair. Nearly 90% were considered high-risk patients. Median follow-up was 46 months (range 24-112). The two groups were comparable, except for the age and preoperative hydronephrosis. There was no statistical significance in blood transfusion requirements, intensive care hospitalization, 30-day and long-term mortality between the two groups. Preoperative hydronephrosis was diagnosed in four (13.8%) patients in the open surgery group and three (60%) patients in the endovascular aortic repair group. Improvement of hydronephrosis was recognized in three out of the four patients in the open repair group and two out of the three in the endovascular aortic repair group. Renal function remained stable in both groups during follow-up. Conclusions Open surgery remains a safe and valid option for the treatment of inflammatory aortic abdominal aneurysm. Although our study included a small number of patients with endovascular aortic repair treatment, results are promising. Further randomized controlled studies may be necessary to assess long-term effectiveness of endovascular aortic repair treatment in this disease.